Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Challenges of Being a WAHM (Work At Home Mom)

99% of the time, I absolutely LOVE being a stay at home mom. I do have moments when I long for the quiet, organization, and efficiency I associate with my previous career. Those moments usually come when I am hastily trying to tackle last minute action items for deliciousDESIGNS, and my kids are not on board with my doing so! Below is a conversation with my three-year old that I had recently while attempting to get some work done:

Sam: "Mom, I want Lila to come over."
Me: "Lila is at school right now so she can't come over."
Sam: "But, Mom, I really, really want her to come over."
Me: "Sam, Lila is at school today and she can't come over."
Sam: "Mom, I really, really, really (emphasis on that last "really") want her to come over."
Me: "Lila is 9 years old, which means she has to go to school all day, so she isn't at home. That means she can't come over to our house."

A pause for about 2 minutes and then...

Sam: "Mom, I want Lila to come over."
Me (starting to get exasperated): "Honey, I've already told you three times that Lila is at school and can't come over right now. I'm not going to talk about this anymore. I'd be happy to talk about something else, though. Want to talk about something else?"
Sam: "Ummm, yes....let's talk about Lila coming over."

This is when I proceeded to hit my head against the wall.

Happy Hump Day!

No comments: